Funding Arrangements

Funding for apprenticeships depends on the size of the employer.

Levy paying employers

Large employers with a wage bill of over £3m per annum pay a levy to the government which is set aside to fund apprenticeships with that employer.

Over 50 employees

Employers with over 50 employees but a wage bill under £3m per annum will contribute 10% towards their apprenticeship funding.  The government will pay the other 90%.  These employers are also eligible for incentives, such as £1000 per apprentice for employing a 16-18 year old or a 16-24 year old care leaver/someone with an Education and Health Care Plan (EHCP).

Under 50 employees

Small employers with under 50 employees get 90-100% of their apprenticeship funding from the government.  For 16-18 year olds or a 16-24 year old care leaver/someone with an Education and Health Care Plan (EHCP) the employer will receive 100% of funding.

Check our funding arrangements guide for full details – also available on the document list on the left.